How to Install a Western Snow Plow
With the official start of winter, the pressures that are inherent in running a snow and ice removal business tend to multiply. The last thing you want to worry about is having issues attaching a snow plow to your vehicle. A mounting system that is straightforward, accurate and simple to use and install is essential – whether you are a large commercial snow plowing operation or only engage in limited snow removal.
Western Products is a premier manufacturer of snow and ice control products, with a full line of plows and spreaders for commercial, municipal and personal use. Known for their industry-leading expertise, they focus on developing high quality, state-of-the-art products. That’s why, when it comes to attaching a snow plow to your vehicle, nothing is easier than the Western Ultramount.
Ultramount Simplifies the Process of Attaching a Western Snow Plow
The Ultramount is entirely mechanical and fast and simple to install, which saves you time and avoids frustration. There are no complicated instructions or loose pins or tools to keep track of. Most importantly, there are no electrical components to fail. Here’s how it works:
- Drive in and the large 3 1/2 ” flared receiver brackets help guide your vehicle into place. There is no need for the site systems required by other manufacturers.
- Grab the shoe handle and pull it up. The spring-loaded shoe automatically pops up.
- Pull the lock pin and rotate the handle up. Western has combined the stand and connecting hook into one smooth, rotating device, and the hook is designed to help correct imperfect drive-in alignment.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Plug in the electrical connections and you’re finished.
Detaching the plow mount is just as easy. Simply unplug the electrical connections, pull the lock pin, rotate the handle down and push the shoe all the way down. Repeat on the other side.
When spring arrives, the receiver brackets can be easily removed – no tools required. This gives your vehicle full ground clearance and a clean front end during the off-season.
Additional Features and Benefits Make Snow Plowing More Efficient
- One of the biggest challenges can be attaching the plow blade when it’s sitting on uneven terrain. The pivot bar allows the attaching points to remain level even if the plow blade is not. This ensures accurate drive-in alignment every time.
- The pivot bar also allows the blade to pivot during plowing to hug uneven ground for a cleaner scrape and more even wear of the cutting edge.
The Western Ultramount also features a chain lift, a simple mechanical system that has several advantages over competitive hydraulic lift systems. You get instantaneous float when lowering the blade. The unrestricted blade can freely follow the contours of the plowing surface and you can stack the snow higher without limitation.
In the rare event of a hydraulic failure, just push into a snow bank and short-chain the plow. This will allow you to safely transport the plow to the repair shop instead of being stranded.
At Plow Parts Direct, we carry most snow plow mounts for Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge, Toyota, Jeep, and Nissan trucks. You can find out which mount is right for your truck by using Western's Quick Match system, or by contacting our experts for advice. We are here to help, whether you need guidance in choosing the right snow removal equipment or installing it. Give us a call at 201-327-6050.